Halloween has long been my favorite holiday of the year. Now that I’m a grown lady and the allure of candy has worn off some, I prefer dance parties that involve costumed, drunk friends. Here is a playlist sure to get your ghouls grooving. It has some obvious choices, yes, but it also has gems you’ll listen to whenever you want to get into mischief. Get ready to smang it.
1. Ghostbusters Theme: duh.
2. Bang Bang Bang (Mark Ronson & the Business International): get it going with synthy goodness featuring supple rhymes provided by Q-tip.
3. Whip My Hair (Willow Smith): the NOW song that induces child-like grins all round.
4. Oh No! (Marina & the Diamonds): a swinging tune that shows of Marina’s pipes and her all around weirdness.
5. Skeleton Boy (Friendly Fires): title alone should mean inclusion, but this is a true hip-shaker.
6. Thriller (M.J.): another duh, no Halloween mix should be without M.J.
7. Lights & Music (Cut Copy): skronking basslines + a euphoria delivering coda at the tail end that lights my life up every time I hear it.
8. Katy on a Mission (Katy B): England’s newest dubstep diva, Katy delivers full-stop.
9. Dance Yrself Clean (LCD Soundsystem): slow grower, but yowza does Murphy know how to tickle all your bones.
10. Pony (Ginuwine): when you need a little grind. All those girls in slutty costumes are begging for these burping beats to get even more nasty.
11. Perfect Stranger (Magnetic Man): spooky opening, promising all kinds of dares in the darkness.
12. Dog Days Are Over (Flo remixed by Yeasayer): grinding beats plus Florence’s glorious vocals cut for maximum neck-flexing.
13. Power (Kanye plus Jay-Z): Kanye at his most over-heated, werewolf-like self. Too good.
14. Get Some (Lykke Li): Swedish singer Lykke sounds down right dangerous in this banger.
15. Dancing on My Own (Robyn): no dance mix can end without including the reigning dancehall queen.
Trick or treat or both, baby?